Accounting Assistant (#1540)
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience
Summary + Overview
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a full-time Accounting Assistant in our Portland, OR office. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, and want to help us grow, apply with us today!
A basic understanding of the accounts payable or accounts receivable process is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this position are to:
- Process vendor invoices into the accounting system for payment.
- Maintain accurate and complete vendor files in support of accounting reviews and other information requests.
- Process cash receipts/bank deposits and record daily deposit
- Review and process all credit card and expense reports; work with employees to ensure all necessary documents are provided
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing vendor invoices for completeness including ensuring appropriate approvals have been provided, mathematically correct invoices have been received and other relevant oversight to ensure accurate payments to vendors.
- Providing timely and accurate responses to vendors regarding their inquiries for payment.
- Preparing bi-weekly check runs including print checks and matching vendor invoices to the checks for backup and archival, routing checks for approval and signature and processing for mail or overnight delivery.
- Record the daily deposit for checks received.
- Acting as a resource for others; responding in a timely manner to questions and inquiries.
- Maintain all vendor files including timely filing of vendor payments and payment backup, preparing new files for each accounting year and archiving filing for secure offsite storage.
- Participating in annual financial statement reviews and indirect cost audits including gathering information and researching documentation to ensure timely completion of the audits and inquiries.
- Reconciling invoice and/or payment inconsistencies or issues as necessary
- Participating in finance and operations team meetings to ensure streamlined workflow and enhancement of operational processes.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- 1-3 years of experience in the accounting field or a combination of college course work and work experience
- Exhibits strong initiative, ability to manage competing priorities and multiple, simultaneous tasks and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Exhibits desire to learn and cross-train in other accounting functions.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic MS Excel, Word, or similar product skills; ten-key proficient..
This is a mostly sedentary position that requires sitting for long periods of time. Manual dexterity and visual acuity are required for computer work.
What we offer
- The pay range for this job in Portland, OR is $40,050-48,950 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around reimbursement of $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities..
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.