Associate Engineer II (#1560)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking an Associate Engineer II to join our team in Durham, NC, covering the Triangle area, North Carolina, and surrounding states. This position is for an engineering leader with 8 to 12 years of experience, who is comfortable with the technical aspects of design, engineering, and permitting; and has a growing interest and experience with client management and business development of innovative multimodal infrastructure. Upon joining Alta, you will have the opportunity to learn from and be supported by some of the leading multidisciplinary and multimodal professionals in the nation, working on projects in North Carolina and across the United States.
This is a unique opportunity for anyone who is passionate about active transportation and the way it positively impacts our communities in need; and about an innovative workplace that also strives to positively impact our own lives and careers. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, apply today!
** Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily a remote position, but will maintain a hybrid formal, while requiring a 2 day a week in-office attendance beginning in January 2023. **
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 200 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience. This focus extends to our growing engineering teams and engineering projects across the United States, in settings urban, suburban, rural, and natural.
Summary + Overview
This exempt role is responsible for ensuring successful project delivery, supporting and maintaining client and partner relationships, contributing to the growth of an office within the local market or region, and leading and growing Alta’s team members to become well-rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
A general understanding of civil engineering, transportation engineering, and permitting is essential. Experience in the fields of non-motorized transportation and Complete Streets, and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which exceed client expectations are required, in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
An understanding and knowledge of Alta, its culture and services, and the current marketplace conditions of multimodal and active transportation engineering are highly recommended.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships and secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals.
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Appropriately manage projects in a budget-conscious and time-sensitive manner.
- Manage local teams to produce high-quality, accurate and complete design drawings, specifications, cost estimates, construction documents, and other project deliverables.
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes; may include presenting proposals to clients and negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives leading the client and internal teams ensuring any risks to deliverables are properly managed.
- Communicating desired outcomes; advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery and managing resources.
- Managing and mentoring staff, providing feedback and professional development in a timely and effective manner; hiring and terminating staff as appropriate.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans (“SPROCKET” plans).
- May include oversight of daily office administrative functions for a local office.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living, non-motorized transportation, and Complete Streets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Nine (9) or more years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity; three (3) or more years as a Project Manager; three (3) or more years managing staff.
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license in the state of North Carolina, or ability to secure one within six months of employment.
- Experience in, and knowledge of, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience preparing Plans, Specifications and Estimates packages for roadway projects and a detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations.
- Exhibits strong initiative and ability to capitalize on opportunities to enhance Alta’s position in the marketplace.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams within budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and analytic skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation, Open Roads, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Experience using Deltek Vision and/or MicroStation V8.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
What We Offer
The pay for this job in Durham, NC is $102,000.00 – $127,500.00 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around (transit, bike, mobility) benefit of up to $900 annually, a travel award upon completion of 5 years with Alta, and professional development opportunities.
To apply: please upload a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.