Associate Engineer II (Hybrid Schedule) #1569
Alta Planning + Design is a sustainable transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and gets them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 26 years with 180 staff and 22 offices, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Day to Day
- 9+ years of experience as a traffic engineer in a consulting environment or public entity; 3+ years as a project manager; 3+ years managing staff
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
- Professional Engineering (PE) license in the state of California or ability to secure one within six months of employment.
- Professional Traffic Engineer (TE) license in the state of California or ability to secure one within six months of employment
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and analytic skills
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation, Open Roads, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar product
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams within budgetary and schedule constraints
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience preparing Plans, Specifications, and Estimates packages for roadway projects and a detailed understanding of project management principles, methods, and techniques
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, urban planning, or a related field of study
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients
- Experience writing or presenting white papers, or providing expert-level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation
- Experience using Deltek Vision and/or MicroStation V8
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees
What We Offer
Alta offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule where most employees work from home three days per week. In-office days support our collaborative culture, one of our core values. The office is located in downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) right across from the 7th Street/Metro Center Station. We are about a 1.8-mile (14-minute) bike ride to Union Station, which is also accessible by the underground light rail system from the 7th Street/Center Station. Persian Square is within walking distance of the office, as are Whole Foods and plenty of nearby shops at the Bloc and FIGat7th shopping plazas.
The pay range for this job in Los Angeles is $120,000–$150,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees:
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation
- 401(k): Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Parental Leave/Short-Term Disability
- Additional Benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities
*The following statements pertain to US Candidates Only*
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.