Associate Engineer II (#1569)
Alta Planning + Design (APD) is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Summary + Overview
This exempt role is responsible for supporting and maintaining client and partner relationships, ensuring successful project delivery, contributing to the growth of an office within a local market or region and leading and growing Alta’s team members to become well-rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
Day to Day
- Performs a variety of Civil 3D designs; develop construction plans, graphics, and similar tasks with minimal oversight.
- Participates in and plans site visits and/or outreach activities.
- Attends or leads team meetings and trainings; take notes and pursue follow-up activities.
- Participates in or lead internal service area work.
- Conducts business development activities and supports proposal work.
- Serves as Task Lead and/or Assistant Project Manager, directing others in performing tasks; may serve as Project Manager on small projects.
- Independently applies extensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- Uses advanced techniques in the modification or extension of theories and practices of sciences and disciplines to complete assignments.
- Works on a major project or several projects of moderate scope with complex features.
- Reviews complete project documents for conformity and quality assurance.
- Develops new techniques and/or improved processes, materials, or products.
- Assists upper-level management and staff as a technical specialist or advisor.
- Manages tasks and directs engineers, technicians, and administrative staff.
- Plans and coordinates detailed aspects of the engineering work.
- Manages scopes, budgets, and schedules for assignments.
- Manages proposals to provide professional services or obtain funding for engineering projects or programs.
- May participate in business development activities.
- Serves as member of professional practice organization, national board member or officer, national technical, or policy committee member.
- Receives supervision and guidance relating to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters.
- Receives direction on unusual conditions and developments.
- Possesses advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
- Represents the organization in communications and conferences pertaining to broad-aspects of engineering assignments.
Software Skills: AutoCAD and/or Microstation; Civil 3D; MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project; BlueBeam desired but not mandatory
Required Experience: 9-13 years
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET/EAC-accredited program.
What We Offer
The pay range for this job in Los Angeles, CA is $120,000.00 – $150,000.00 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload your resume, any work samples, and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company. Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.