Communications Specialist (#1562)
Alta Planning + Design (APD) is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Summary + Overview
This exempt marketing department role manages the flow of external and internal communications related to marketing, as per the Alta Communications Plan.
A general knowledge of internal and external communication strategies and media relations, and the ability to meet competing priorities in a timely, accurate and complete manner is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Develop and implement overall internal and external communications program
- Coordinate daily social media posts, monthly external newsletters, bi-weekly internal newsletters, blog updates, award submissions, and press releases
- Manage communications and marketing needs for conferences and events
- Initiate SEO optimization program and conduct regular website maintenance
- Drive innovation and ensure communications promote the mission of the company
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct market research and participate in other creative projects such as white paper production and branding campaigns
- Develop and update marketing collateral
- Collaborate in the on-boarding of new staff, including announcements and other promotions
This position requires a combination of skills, experience, and education, including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, liberal arts, marketing, communications or a related field of study
- Four (4) or more years of experience in marketing
- General understanding of the proposal development process for private and public agencies
- Exhibits strong initiative, ability to manage competing priorities, multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional teams, and the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Good MS Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar products
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience, and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or similar.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Communications role
- Experience assisting or leading social media campaigns, and familiarity with WordPress, Google Analytics, and SEO strategy preferred.
What We Offer
The pay range for this job in Portland, OR is $57,850.00 – $66,750.00 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload your resume, any work samples, and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company. Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.