Creative Production Manager (Hybrid Schedule) #0726
Alta Planning + Design seeks a Creative Production Manager for our Los Angeles, CA office. This mid-senior level position is a great opportunity for someone who believes in the importance of active, multimodal, and sustainable transportation and who is interested in growing their career as a creative services manager. If you are looking to join an innovative organization and do work that connects people to places while advancing social justice, safety, and environmental resilience, apply with Alta today!
Alta Planning + Design is a sustainable transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and gets them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 26 years with 180 staff and 22 offices, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Day to Day
In this role, you’ll be the air traffic controller and overall process owner for all of Creative Services’ web and graphic design projects. You will be the first point of contact for Alta staff, and you’ll work with them to understand their incoming requests and make sure the budget, scope, and schedule are reasonable. Then, you’ll assign work to graphic designers and web developers based on skills and availability, and set and schedules.
You’ll have a unique perspective in that you’ll be looking at the entire portfolio of projects, and working with the Art Director to get them done well and efficiently. You will also have the opportunity to develop efficient systems for project delivery.
We’re looking for someone who loves project management, and has excellent mental organization and ability to communicate and coordinate with others to get those projects done well. It’s a bonus if you have insight into the creative process, but this is not a requirement.
A standard day or week for the Creative Production Manager would break down as follows:
- Project Intake and Work Planning (20%): process incoming projects by analyzing new requests, communicating with internal project managers, setting up internal kick-off meetings, giving budget estimates, creating production schedules, and coordinating project handoff with production staff.
- Project Management (35%): follow-up with graphic designers, web developers, and internal (Alta) project managers to keep current projects on schedule, in scope, and within budget.
- Workload Balancing (20%): check in with graphic designers and web developers on workload daily, redistributing projects or helping them find new projects as needed.
- Forecasting & Tracking Utilization Trends (15%): evaluate current and upcoming Creative Services’ workload by forecasting projects and charting utilization trends, and coordinating with project managers on upcoming work.
- Systems Optimization (5%): help with Creative Services’ systems optimization by generating ideas to improve workflow, efficiency, communication, and project feedback, and identifying general areas for improvement.
- Internal Marketing & Internal Business Development (5%): promote the Creative Services team and its capabilities and offerings to internal project managers.
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with the Art Director on new ideas, workflow systems, and providing project support as needed.
- Attending meetings, taking and distributing meeting notes, creating production schedules, and asking clarifying project questions.
- Providing QA/QC support for graphic design and web projects.
- Owning the Creative Services project folder structure, organizing project assets and source files, helping with archiving of final deliverables, and assisting in a formal project closeout process.
- Coordinating with external vendors and service providers.
- Administration and management of web domain names for client and marketing projects.
- Supporting documentation and references for Creative Services project portfolio examples and demos in coordination with internal marketing and project management staff.
- Providing additional administrative or project support as needed.
- Interest in healthy communities and active transportation
- 5+ years of experience in project management or in a related role
- Experience with project management software/tools (such as Trello)
- Experience in a deadline-driven, project-based environment
- Experience managing competing priorities and multiple, simultaneous tasks
- Able to work independently with little supervision
- Strong professional ethics, accountability, and decision-making capabilities
- Strong organizational skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace apps
- Experience in graphic design or web development and/or experience working with teams who specialize in graphic design or web development
- Experience working at an agency or consulting firm
- Experience in the A/E/C industry
- Experience writing scopes/budgets
- Experience with Deltek or similar accounting or ERP software
What We Offer
Alta offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule where most employees work from home three days per week. In-office days support our collaborative culture, one of our core values.
The pay range for this job in Los Angeles is $85,000.00-$130,000.00 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees:
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation
- 401(k): Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Parental Leave/Short-Term Disability
- Additional Benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities
*The following statements pertain to US Candidates Only*
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.