Designer I (#1517)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a Designer I to join our team in Los Angeles, CA or Oakland, CA. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, want to work with talented and passionate professionals, apply with us today!
** This position is hybrid and will require some in-office attendance in Los Angeles, CA or Oakland, CA.**
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
A general understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to or sometimes leading the development of cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Creating plant palettes and landscape design recommendations.
- Conduct data analysis and develop visualization components of client projects and for research and development efforts.
- Writing reports, technical memos, and presentations.
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in or sometimes leading the creation of photo-renderings, concept sketches, and construction drawings as required for project deliverables.
- Contributing to or sometimes leading the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
- Contributing to the creation of strong visuals and materials.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or a related field.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge, and understanding of, and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge, and understanding of, the design process.
- Exhibits initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint or similar products.
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, ArcPro, SketchUp, Microsoft Excel, Programming, GoogleEarth, or similar products.
What We Offer
- The pay range for this job in Los Angeles, CA and Oakland, CA is $70,000-$90,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.