Engineer I (#1512)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking an Engineer with three to seven years of experience to join our team as a Level 1 Engineer, reporting directly to our Project Managers. This position is available at many of Alta’s offices across the United States, including Baltimore, MD, Charlotte, NC, Denver, CO, Durham, NC, Oakland, CA or Portland, OR. This is a unique opportunity for anyone who is passionate about active transportation and the way in positively impacts our communities in need. If you are looking for an innovative organization which is an industry leader in active transportation, apply with us today!
** Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily a remote position, but may require in-office attendance when it is safe to return to the office. **
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience. This focus extends to our growing engineer teams and projects across the United States, in settings urban, suburban, rural, and natural.
A general understanding of civil engineering, transportation engineering, and permitting is essential. Experience in the the fields of non-motorized transportation, Complete Streets, and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which exceed client expectations are required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position, however we do understand that non-mortorized transportation might only be a portion of a candidate’s portfolio.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Produce high quality, accruate and complete design drawings, specifications, cost estimates, construction documents, and other project deliverables.
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
- Continuously improve knowledge and skills in active transportation and Complete Streets planning and design.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and roadways and other design elements; and using appropriate strategies to meet ADA requirements.
- Effectively using reports, engineering plans, maps, utility plans, GIS files, drawings, test results, aerial survey files to properly assess and address design chalenges such as topographic and geologic data, grading, utility identification and relocation, hydrogeologic characteristics, and other environmental and natural resource constraints.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow Complete Street principles.
- Seeking and collaborating on new ideals and continuous improvements to Alta’s knowledge base, efficiency, and operational processes.
- Collaborating with team members on project tasks and assignments.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living, non-motorized transportation, and Complete Streets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Civil or Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.
- Initiative and the ability to work with little supervision, and comfort with hybrid work schedules (combining office, work from home, and some field work).
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary
- Ability and willingness to travel to potential project sites across the region.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, with awareness of the importance of analytical skills, engineering judgement, and strong organizational skills.
- General proficiency with MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation, Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- EIT/PE Certification or current registration for FE/PE exam is a plus.
- Expertise with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
What We Offer
- The pay range for this job in East Coast locations and Denver is $74,800.00 – $96,800.00 annually. The pay range for this job in California and Oregon will be commensurate with the states’ cost of living and the candidate’s experience. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
- The pay range for this position is very competitive, and will be based on an office location, experience, skill-sets and qualifications.
Alta’s core values and goals are focused on empowering every person to live and active healthy life, including our team members. Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO, HMO, or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement of up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.