HR Generalist & Hiring Specialist (#1521)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a full-time HR Generalist to join our team. If you are looking to grow and refine your HR skills in a dynamic organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, apply with us today!
** This position is hybrid and will require some in-office attendance at any Alta Office, Alta has offices in several states**
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
This position will be responsible for a variety of tasks in all HR functions. Working knowledge of human resource best practices, state and federal guidelines, principles and requirements is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position. This position is more administrative and tactical in nature but requires initiative, problem-solving skills, and discretion to be successful.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Drive forward the HR portion of the recruiting cycle (job postings, sourcing diverse candidates, scheduling interviews, offer letters, compensation strategy)
- Effectively Onboard new hires
- Help to ensure retention through a great first 90 days for all new hires
- Monitor and drive forward DE&I initiatives as they relate to hiring.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to payroll and compensation, benefits, and leave programs, disciplinary matters, performance and talent management, productivity, recognition, engagement, and training and development.
- Provide a high level of customer service to all employees.
- Support HR department projects and initiatives.
Responsibilities + Tasks
- Recruiting, interviewing, and facilitating the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions.
- Conducts background checks and new hire orientations.
- Manage and maintain personnel records in accordance with established procedures and state and Federal guidelines.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- backup the payroll function
- Address and respond to inquiries from employees and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Produces and formats HR reports on-demand.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assist with compliance programs like AAP, OFCCP, FLSA, EEOC.
- Assist with termination and off-boarding procedures.
- Maintain HR content on Alta intranet.
- Ensure adherence with all established human resource policies and procedures.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Three (3) or more years of experience in human resource roles
- At least 1 year of experience running multi-state payroll
- General understanding and knowledge of human resource rules and regulations including those related but not limited to ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Worker’s Compensation, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Experience working with a remote/distributed workforce, understanding of different local and state laws within HR context.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, verbal (public speaking), and written communication skills; confidence in delivering communications.
- Strong initiative, ability to manage competing priorities and multiple, simultaneous tasks and the ability to work independently.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to make recommendations by using judgment that is consistent with company culture as well as standards, practices, policies, procedures or governing law.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word, or similar products.
- Experience with Google G Suite.
- Experience with an HRIS (ADP WFN preferred) including the ability to extract data and provide relevant reports.
- Ability to practice discretion, confidentiality, and empathy in all HR matters.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Sociology, Psychology, OR Human Resource Certification (PHR or SHRM-CP).
- Experience developing and/or implementing human resource procedures and best practices including project plans.
- Experience in a professional services or consulting environment.
- Experience with Deltek Vision.
Individual contributor. This role may also share knowledge, experience, and processes internally and be responsible for training.
This is a mostly sedentary position that requires sitting for long periods of time. Manual dexterity and visual acuity are required for computer work.
HR Manager or Sr. HR Generalist
What we offer
- The pay range for this position is $65,000-80,000 annually and will be adjusted based on the employees’ location and experience.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurgence: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around reimbursement up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.