Landscape Designer II (#1568)
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Alta is seeking a Landscape Designer to join our team and help us improve the public realm across a wide range of communities. The ideal candidate is passionate about active transportation and community-grounded design for the public good. In this position, you will work in a variety of contexts, at a range of scales, and through multiple mediums to improve how people walk, bike, and thrive.
Day to Day
- Performs a variety of writing, research, design, graphics, and similar tasks with minimal oversight.
- Participates in and plan site visits and/or outreach activities.
- Attends team meetings and trainings; takes notes and pursue follow-up activities.
- Participates in internal initiatives to push design practice forward, with supervision.
- Contributes to the production of high-quality graphics, reports, and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
- May contribute to CAD production at middle-to high range level of drafting.
- Contributes to the production of high-quality design and plans.
- Contributes to public outreach efforts and other project deliverables.
- Assists Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
- Contributes to the development of cost estimates and design details for construction documents under the supervision of licensed landscape architects.
- Contributes to the creation of landscape and urban design recommendations.
- Supports project objectives such as trail routing and alignment, trailhead design, or design details and enlargements.
- Leads creation of photo renderings, concept sketches, and other graphic design for projects.
- Possesses a general understanding of the design process.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and the ability to work independently with supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
Managerial Responsibilities: Assigns tasks to and coordinate with LAD I or administrative staff.
- Receives instruction on specific objectives.
- Receives direction on unconventional and/or complex problems, and possible solutions.
- Receives a thorough review of completed work for application of sound professional judgment.
- Communication Skills: Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Software Skills: AutoCAD; Civil 3D; Adobe CS; SketchUp; Google Earth; MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or similar products.
- Typical Titles: Landscape Designer II
- Required Experience: 2-5 years
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture or Masters Degree in LA from accredited program
- Licensure: None required
- Professional Activities: Attends local ASLA activities and events as desired, working toward licensure.
- Travel Required: Frequent local or overnight travel may be required
Physical Requirements: Ability to operate a computer. Ability to move over uneven ground for site visits up to 3-5 miles.
What We Offer
The pay range for this job in Portland, OR is $62,300.00 – $84,550.00 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload your resume, any work samples, and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company. Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.