Planner I (#1487)
** Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily a remote position. However, you must be within the Charlotte, NC area or willing to relocate there. This position will require some in-office attendance when it is safe to return.**
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
A general understanding of the field of urban planning, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions that meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality plans, reports, and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, field investigations and site analyses.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, research activities in support of project planning deliverables. May include formatting documents and contributing to the development of presentation materials.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, the development, editing and production of newsletters, final reports, memos, and workshop materials.
- Collecting data and producing maps for fieldwork, public input, client meetings, and project display boards and reports.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related field of study.
- Three (3) years or more of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge of, and interest in, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge of the planning process and GIS, including experience working with ESRI products or similar open-source GIS software.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- Good understanding of MS Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop), or similar products.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience, and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Demonstrated proficiency in GIS concepts and in ESRI ArcGIS, ArcGIS Pro, Q-GIS (or other open-source GIS Software)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, or similar products.
- Working knowledge of US Census information within a GIS framework
What We Offer
- The pay range for this job in Charlotte, NC is $59,000-$76,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Bike maintenance reimbursement up to $150 annually, transit reimbursement up to $750 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.