Planner I- SRTS + Engagement (#1538)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a Planner I- SRTS Specialist to join our team in Los Angeles, CA. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, want to work with talented and passionate professionals, apply with us today!
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Are you an experienced professional with strong interest in Safe Routes to School (SRTS) programs and helping the public engage with active transportation projects? Do you have strong people and project management skills, excellent outreach skills, and enjoy organizing and planning logistics?
As a SRTS and Engagement Specialist with our Southern California team, you will:
- Work with our multidisciplinary group of planners, engineers, program specialists, and graphic designers to support and implement SRTS and other planning projects
- Support Alta’s work with multi-school programs, lead walk audits, facilitate community outreach, engage with school stakeholders, and work alongside community-based teaming partners to deliver SRTS programming in urban, suburban and rural communities
- Solidify Alta’s reputation as a national leader in SRTS and active transportation planning, and contribute to the continued growth and success of our outstanding SRTS practice.
This is a unique opportunity to build your knowledge of SRTS and active transportation planning for all ages and abilities. Our current workload includes education and encouragement programs, safety campaigns, equity analyses, evaluation studies, suggested route mapping, and engineering assessments for regional agencies, counties, local governments and school districts throughout California.
A general understanding of the field of urban planning and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions that meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality documents, plans, reports, lesson plans, and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach, youth engagement, and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, pedestrian education and other on-site school engagement activities.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, field investigations and site analyses.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, research activities in support of project planning deliverables. May include formatting documents and contributing to the development of presentation materials.
- Participating in, and sometimes leading, the development, editing, and production of newsletters, lesson plans, final reports, memos, and workshop materials.
- Collecting data and producing materials maps for fieldwork, public input, client meetings, and project display boards and reports.
- Coordinating internally to develop and disseminate templates and best practices.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience, and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Health, Education, or a related field of study.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or with a public entity.
- Working knowledge of, and interest in, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites throughout Southern California.
- Good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, creating and using Excel spreadsheets, data entry, and email.
- Most work will take place during business hours, but the position may require evening and weekend work.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience, and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Previous experience in an Outreach role
- Experience with education, bike/pedestrian education preferred
- Curriculum development experience
- Working knowledge of the planning process and GIS
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience interacting with diverse groups of people.
- Experience organizing and leading events, classes, or workshops
- Professional working proficiency in the Spanish language
What We Offer
The pay range for this job in Los Angeles is $70,000 – 90,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Bike maintenance reimbursement up to $150 annually, transit reimbursement up to $750 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply: please upload a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.