Planner II (Hybrid Schedule) #1581
Alta Planning + Design seeks a Multimodal Planner for our Baltimore, MD office. This production-level position is a great opportunity for someone who believes in the importance of active, multimodal, and sustainable transportation and who is interested in growing their career as a transportation planning professional. If you are looking to join an innovative organization and do work that connects people to places while advancing social justice, safety, and environmental resilience, apply with Alta today!
Alta Planning + Design is a sustainable transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and gets them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 26 years with 180 staff and 22 offices, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Day to Day
In this role, you will bring your technical expertise on a wide variety of transportation, trails, safety, and multimodal projects. You’ll evaluate data and conduct site visits and assessments, including roadway corridors, trail corridors, and school sites, and then apply your knowledge of multimodal transportation and trail design standards to develop recommendations for our clients. You’ll participate in public outreach
activities, including virtual and in-person workshops, site audits, pop-up events, charettes, and demonstration projects. You’ll use your writing, research, mapping, or graphics skills to develop reports and plans. And you’ll have an opportunity to use and develop project management skills while collaborating with an interdisciplinary team of dedicated professionals.
- 2+ years of transportation planning experience
- Broad knowledge of multimodal transportation planning practices and trail design standards
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead, prepare, and contribute to the preparation of plans, reports, memos, and presentation materials
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to independently work on multiple projects and complete tasks at a high level of quality
- Ability to participate in public outreach or conduct site visits
- Desire to collaborate and participate in multidisciplinary teams
- Bachelor’s degree
- Basic understanding of ArcGIS Pro, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Acrobat
- Ability to prepare graphics and maps
- Master’s degree in planning or related field
- Consulting experience
- Membership in a professional practice organization
What We Offer
Alta offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule where most employees work from home three days per week. In-office days support our collaborative culture, one of our core values. Our Baltimore office is located in the historic Fell’s Point neighborhood, about one block from Broadway Pier. The area around our office is very walkable, and our office is easily accessible by bike, transit, or water taxi.
The pay range for this job in Baltimore is $62,300–$84,5500 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees:
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation
- 401(k): Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Parental Leave/Short-Term Disability
- Additional Benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities
*The following statements pertain to US Candidates Only*
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.