Planning Associate II (Hybrid Schedule) #1563
Alta Planning + Design seeks a planning associate II for our Oakland, CA office. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active, multimodal, and sustainable transportation, and want to work with talented and passionate professionals, apply with us today !
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Day to Day
Your main responsibility is to lead multi-disciplinary teams in the successful delivery of innovative and professionally rewarding projects such as Active Transportation Plans, Safe Routes to School Plans, Vision Zero/Systemic Safety Plans, Trail Feasibility Studies, Complete Streets Corridor Plans, and more. Your proactive communication skills means you will build collaborative long-term relationships with Alta colleagues, clients, stakeholders, and teaming partners. You understand how to respectfully engage with equity-based community organizations and integrate equity needs into the planning process. Your experience as a project manager will ensure that project scopes, budgets, and schedules are communicated clearly to the team and met. You will also have a responsibility for pursuing new opportunities through business development and collaboration with Alta’s marketing team. Finally, you will continue to develop your professional knowledge through internal and external training opportunities and by expanding your professional network.
A general knowledge of internal and external communication strategies and media relations, and the ability to meet competing priorities in a timely, accurate and complete manner is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Directs others in performing a variety of writing, research, mapping, graphics, and similar tasks.
- Participates in and plans site visits and/or outreach activities.
- Integrates input from a broad range of stakeholders to create plans and programs that are representative of the communities we serve.
- Leads interdisciplinary team meetings and trainings, takes notes, and pursues follow-up activities.
- Leads internal systems such as service area and Planning discipline work.
- Conducts business development activities and proposal work.
- Serves as Project Manager on mid-sized projects, Assistant Project Manager on large ones, or Task Lead for specialized roles.
- May manage and mentor other staff, supporting their professional development.
- Conducts QA/QC on deliverables.
- Support Alta’s work with multi-school programs, lead walk audits, facilitate community outreach, engage with school stakeholders, and work alongside community-based teaming partners to deliver SRTS programming in urban, suburban and rural communities
- Solidify Alta’s reputation as a national leader in SRTS and active transportation planning, and contribute to the continued growth and success of our outstanding SRTS practice.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in planning, environmental science, architecture, or related field
- Nine (9) or more years of experience in consulting
- General understanding of the proposal development process for private and public agencies
- Exhibits strong initiative, ability to manage competing priorities, multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional teams, and the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Google Workspace apps; Adobe Acrobat; has least basic understanding of MS Project and Deltek.
- Proficient with ArcGIS Pro software, workflows for cartography, and basic data management
- Master’s degree preferred
- AICP Certification preferred but not required
- Member of professional practice organization; national board member or officer; national technical or policy committee member.
- Actively participates in professional associations and conferences, and builds client/contact network.
- Experience working with pedestrian education and other on-site school engagement activities
What We Offer
Alta offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule where most employees work from home three days per week. In-office days support our collaborative culture, one of our core values. Our downtown Oakland office located at the corner of 12th and Harrison is just three blocks from the 12th Street BART station. We have secure in-suite bicycle parking.
The pay range for this job in Oakland, CA, is $100,000–$140,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees:
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation
- 401(k): Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Parental Leave/Short-Term Disability
- Additional Benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities
*The following statements pertain to US Candidates Only*
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.