Programs Specialist (#1412)
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience
Summary + Overview
As a Programs Specialist, you will lead and support projects by designing, implementing, and evaluating active transportation, TDM, and traffic safety programs. This position is based in Alta’s headquarters in Portland, OR, though we may be open to Seattle-based candidates. The position is remote at present but will be located in our office once we can reopen.
This position will lead and support many types of transportation campaigns, including the following:
- Media campaigns
- Outreach, marketing, and communications
- Education programs
- Transportation Demand Management (TDM) programs
A day in the life at this job might involve setting up and preparing questions for focus groups with neighborhood residents; developing a campaign marketing and outreach strategy; coordinating with our graphic design team to produce marketing materials; coordinating and overseeing the activities of remote outreach staff; and writing and implementing social media and other communications activities to support campaigns.
This exempt position is responsible for leading large tasks and small projects, copywriting and content development, managing the creation of print and digital materials, and communicating effectively with our clients and the public.
The essential priority for this position is to work with a team to support the delivery of transportation programs and campaigns to our clients and their community members by:
- Assisting with project management, including taking responsibility for managing individual tasks and some small projects as assigned
- Helping to lead the development and implementation of communications strategies in the service of our campaigns
- Working with graphic designers, translators, web developers, and our clients to facilitate the creation of high-quality graphic and web products
- Writing communications/marketing content, client communications, memos, and reports
- Engaging community members directly and by directing the work of outreach staff, and public speaking (e.g. at conferences and workshops)
This position requires a combination of skills, experience, and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, communications, marketing, or other related fields of study OR 4 years of equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in a similar or transferrable project management role
- Excellent organization and project management skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to great client service
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity in work processes and products
- Proficiency in social media, including familiarity with targeting, paid promotion, copywriting, hashtags, and appropriate use of different channels
- Proficiency in clear and creative copywriting for public communications, such as e-newsletters, press releases, outreach materials, and social media
- Experience with web-based email clients and survey tools, such as Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey
- Public speaking experience or experience engaging with medium to large groups
- Ability to travel for work for 1-3 days at a time (by car, public transit, or plane)
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience, and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Familiarity with active transportation, Transportation Demand Management (TDM), and/or traffic safety
- Experience with digital/traditional media and/or communications strategy
- Social marketing experience and/or experience applying CBSM (Community-Based Social Marketing) principles
- Proven experience designing and/or implementing events, classes, workshops, or campaigns
- Native Spanish proficiency
- Training and insight into racial justice and creating inclusive programs
- Knowledge of behavior change theory and/or behavioral science
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including surveys
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This is a largely sedentary role that operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time may required in an office setting or at public engagements
Reporting + Management Structure
Reports to Programs Principal and will not manage staff
How to Apply
1. Upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit.
2. Please upload a writing sample on which you were the primary author, preferably addressing a general (non-technical) audience. If it is about transportation and/or about a desired behavior change, all the better, but this is not required. Tell us about what the purpose of the piece was, and what role you and others played in getting it done.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.