Senior Designer (#1519)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a Senior Designer to join our team in Salt Lake City, UT. This is a unique opportunity for anyone who wants to start their career in active transportation. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, want to work with talented and passionate professionals, apply with us today!
** This position is hybrid and will require some in office attendance.**
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
An understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and complete design documents, reports and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Developing cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Creating plant palettes and landscape design recommendations.
- Participating in and facilitating community meetings.
- Aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Creating photo-renderings of project deliverables.
- Designing or redesigning roadways to follow complete street principles.
- Performing GIS data processing as necessary.
- Mentoring less senior staff in the development of their own professional technical proficiencies.
- Contributing to research and enhancing professional staff knowledge.
- Contributing to blogs and internal whitepapers.
- May contribute to the hiring process.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or a related field of study.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- In-depth understanding of street and trail design principles.
- General understanding of NACTO, MUTCD, ADA, and relevant state DOT design requirements.
- General knowledge of the principles of site grading and general construction techniques.
- Ability to effectively read, understand and utilize technical drawings, maps and other similar documents.
- Ability to create photo-renderings, concept sketches, construction drawings and other similar materials for use in proposals and project deliverables.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Strong professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and analytic skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Photoshop, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture.
- Marketing knowledge of the local market where the position is located.
- Experience mentoring professional staff.
- Proficient in Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience presenting white papers or other presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation solutions.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- Registration as a Professional Landscape Architect.
What We Offer
- The pay range for this job in Salt Lake City, UT is $67,200-$84,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually,Alta Gets Around reimbursement of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to