Senior Planner (#1482)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking a Senior Planner to join our team in our Phoenix, AZ office. This is a unique opportunity for anyone who is passionate about active transportation and the way it positively impacts our communities in need. If you are looking for an innovative organization who is an industry leader in active transportation, apply with us today!
** Due to COVID-19, this position is temporarily a remote position, but will require in-office attendance when it is safe to return to the office. **
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Summary + Overview
This exempt position is responsible for producing high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
An understanding of the field of urban planning, specifically related to non-motorized transportation, and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted adviser and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and complete reports and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes.
- Participating in or leading field investigations and site analyses and participating in, or leading, public outreach efforts.
- Conducting research and writing relevant reports, including formatting documents and developing presentation materials.
- Developing, editing and producing newsletters, final reports, plans, memos and workshop materials.
- Collecting data and producing maps for field work, public input, client meetings and project display boards and reports.
- Mentoring less senior staff in the development of their own professional technical proficiencies.
- Contributing to research and enhancing professional staff knowledge.
- Contributing to blogs and internal whitepapers.
- May contribute to the hiring process.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related field of study.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Demonstrated understanding of the planning process.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Strong professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, organization, and analytic skills.
- Exhibits accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite, ESRI Arc GIS, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning with an emphasis on active, non-motorized transportation.
- Experience mentoring professional staff.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience using Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst.
- Working knowledge of US Census information with GIS.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers or other presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation solutions.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- AICP Certification.
What We Offer
- The pay range for this job in Phoenix, AZ is $68,000 – $85,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO, HMO, or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Bike maintenance reimbursement up to $150 annually, transit reimbursement up to $750 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.