Senior Planning Associate (#1577)
Alta is looking for a Senior Planning Associate to join and lead our Carolina’s planning team. This is a unique opportunity for anyone who wants to be a team leader, and is passionate about active transportation and the way it positively impacts our communities in need. If you are looking for an innovative organization that is an industry leader in active transportation, apply with us today!
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Summary + Overview
This management-level role is responsible for building and maintaining client and partner relationships, ensuring successful project delivery, growing and developing an office as well as leading and supporting team members to be well-rounded with a focus on their professional development vs. Alta’s success.
- Participates in and plans site visits and/or outreach activities.
- Leads interdisciplinary team meetings, trainings, and/or internal service area work.
- Leads business development activities and proposal work.
- Serves as Project Manager on multiple large, complex projects, often with the support of an Assistant Project Manager and/or Task Lead(s).
- Manages and mentors other staff, supporting their professional development.
- Conducts QA/QC on deliverables.
- Uses creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Keeps informed of new methods and developments, and recommends new practices or changes in emphasis of programs.
- Works with teams of planners, landscape architects, and engineers to deliver projects
- Contributes to regional and service area strategic planning and execution.
- Delegates significant amounts of work clearly and exercises oversight over these tasks.
- Participates in strategy for growth, hiring/staffing, marketing, and systems.
- Deploys innovative approaches to projects that advance the state of practice.
- Manages all sizes of projects, including project planning, staffing decisions, managing subconsultants, budget tracking, and invoicing.
- May act as Project Manager or Assistant Project Manager for very large, complex projects with large budgets and/or several subconsultants.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for clients.
- Implements and adheres to the QA/QC processes, as defined by the technical service areas applicable to the project.
- Leads proposal, interview, and negotiation efforts, with support from Principal in Charges.
- Holds priority client relationships.
- Guides analysis using Alta’s standard methods and tools, develops new analysis methods, and proactively coordinates analysis needs with Civic Analytics team.
- Utilizes QA/QC procedures, engages in peer review, may act as qualified reviewer of specific types of analysis, may certify other qualified reviewers, and may be responsible for developing and updating QA/QC procedures.
- Has general understanding of ArcGIS Pro software capabilities and production process.
- Reviews maps produced by Alta staff to ensure compliance with templates, or delegates review to qualified cartography staff.
- Prepares strategy for conducting outreach.
- May lead public outreach activities.
- Directs others in the production of technical reports, memos, and final reports.
- Implements and adheres to the QA/QC processes for technical reports.
- Supervises several organizational segments or teams.
- Participates in strategy for growth, hiring/staffing, marketing, and systems for team.
- Recommends facilities, personnel, and funds required to carry out initiatives.
Requirements & Preferred Skills + Certifications
What We Offer
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO, HMO, or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around reimbursement up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.