Senior Engineering Associate (Hybrid Schedule) #1559
Alta Planning + Design seeks a multimodal engineer for our Durham, NC office. This senior-level position is a great opportunity for someone who believes in the importance of active, multimodal, and sustainable transportation and who is interested in growing their career as a transportation planner professional. If you are looking to join an innovative organization and do work that connects people to places while advancing social justice, safety, and environmental resilience, apply with Alta today!
Alta Planning + Design is a sustainable transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and gets them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 26 years with 180 staff and 22 offices, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Day to Day
We are a nimble team, collaborating across disciplines and across offices all over the US and Canada. Our Senior Engineering Associate will be responsible for managing multiple projects, project managers, and teams, incorporating the latest innovations in pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure design in a budget-conscious and time-sensitive manner. Projects would range from small natural surface trails to large arterial multiuse paths; from Complete Streets to regional/multi-state bicycle and trail networks. Because we work collaboratively and on a matrix basis, on some projects the associate would be expected to bring their experience into drafting solutions and supporting other associates and project managers.
In addition, the associate would nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships; secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals; help mentor and grow staff; present at technical and business development events; and help enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and leading-edge technical consultant. The associate would be working closely with the Principal of Engineering and the Vice-President for the East, helping implement Alta’s strategy for North Carolina.
- 12+ years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity; 5+ years as a Project Manager; 3+ years managing staff.
- Experience in, and knowledge of, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering or related field
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license in the state of North Carolina
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience preparing Plans, Specifications and Estimates packages for roadway projects and a detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and analytic skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microstation, Open Roads, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar product
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool
- Ability to manage competing priorities, multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams within budgetary and schedule constraints
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Experience using Deltek Vision and/or MicroStation V8.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees
What We Offer
Alta offers a flexible, hybrid work schedule where most employees work from home three days per week. In-office days support our collaborative culture, one of our core values. Our Durham office is located Downtown, a thriving one square mile full with world-class restaurants and entertainment venues, and an incubator for creative thinking and innovative ideas. Destinations such as Central Park, Durham Food Hall, DPAC, and the Durham Bulls Athletic Park are just a short walk away; trend-setting trails such as the American Tobacco Trail and the upcoming Durham Rail-Trail are a short bike ride away.
The pay range for this job in Durham is $110,500–$135,500 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees:
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation
- 401(k): Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start
- Holidays: 11 total company paid holidays
- Parental Leave/Short-Term Disability
- Additional Benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around benefit of up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities
*The following statements pertain to US Candidates Only*
About Alta Planning + Design
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm that specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.